Thursday, October 14, 2010

Dar Half-Marathon & 9K

Last Thursday I ran a 9K here... I was actually the 1st Female to finish and the 3rd overall, and I won a $100,000 tzs ($65 USD) gift certificate to a great restaurant here (Waterfront). It all seems pretty unbelievable to me, but it was a really cool and fun experience so it feels worthy of a blog post.

The main event was the Half-marathon, so all of the "real" racers were running that and there was therefore much less competition for the 9K. The 9K actually seemed like more of a race for the ex-pats, while the fast Africans ran the Half. Apparently there were 5 renowned long-distance runners competing in the Half, but I saw at least a couple dozen sprint across the finish line in what looked like an Olympic race. In American races, there are often one or two Africans who come to compete and sprint across the finish line with entire crowds gathered to watch.... Here these dozens sprinted across with barely any acknowledgment from the crowd, and I just stood star-struck with my mouth open amazed at their times and ability. Oh, how I love running. Watching these elite runners compete filled me with such a passion and enthusiasm for running that only those really great "runner's high" moments can otherwise give you.

The finish line

Runners after the race


Here are some funny "TIA" ("This is Africa".... i.e. things that can/do only happen in Africa) moments and details about the race:

-At about 6:45 am, someone called on a loud speaker for the racers to head over to a field for the "race warm-up." I was very curious as to what this could be, so I made my way over to the field to witness as the facilitator led the crowd in step-aerobics style moves and some very basic stretches to the tune of the Mamma Mia soundtrack. It was absolutely hysterical and definitely a "TIA" race warm-up, but I have to admit that hearing the tunes of "Dancing Queen" and "Mamma Mia" did help invigorate me for the race. :)

The "warm-up"

-The Half was supposed to start at 7:00, and the 9K was supposed to start at 7:30. The Half started at 7:15, and the 9K started at 7:25.

-Both races started with a blow on a vuvuzuela (the horns that were blown constantly during the World Cup).

-Tanzania's former President Ali Hassan Mwinyi came to the race, walked the 9K, and presided over the Awards ceremony at the end. (I'm also convinced that he now has my trophy.... they gave him one for being the "oldest" to finish the 9K and didn't give one to the first female to finish (only to the first male).... thinking they "changed" their award selections at the last minute .... ;))

The former president, in the middle with the white hair

-About 7 of the fastest racers started the Half 10 minutes into it (i.e. they came up from behind and sped past me after our race had already started). These racers still finished at the front of the competition. (Apparently, there was also some discrepancy in tracking the race's route and a few racers cutting shortcuts.... I wouldn't be surprised if these were the ones who did).

*****

As for my little "shining moment", I can not give more glory to God and almost laugh at His awesome ways. Just last year, many of you know that I had a really bad stress fracture in my hip from running and wasn't able to run for 6 months. The fracture wouldn't heal and God literally healed it in a miraculous way through prayer right before I left for Tanzania (short synopsis can be found here: http://fbcd.jointhejourney.com/log/62967). Now, just a few short months later, I am one of the first to cross the finish line of a race and handed an award for what seems to equate a million dollars here ($100,000 tzs... $65 US). God gave me the joy of running the entire race at the front of the crowd, being handed an award and having my picture taken as I was cheered across the finish line, and even experiencing the pains of finishing strong at the end to outrun another woman while I felt like my legs and lungs were about to give out. (I'm not used to that kind of competition in a race... I'm usually "competing against myself" :) so it was a cool and different experience to have to really compete at the end.)

During that last long stretch I prayed continuously for the Lord to give me the strength to "run and not grow weary" and to "mount up on eagles' wings" (Isaiah 40). For Him to give me the needed energy and endurance to finish the race strong that I may glorify His name... So, let me do just that. He healed me in a MIRACULOUS way last year through prayer and supplication and has blessed me not only with this health and strength but now with a Victory that only He could ordain. (i.e. by giving me a race with little competition in a country where the racing system is not very well-organzied.... ha! :)) He is so good, and His ways are good and true and right.... Always. Through the long, dark nights (my 6 painful months of not being able to exercise) as well as the shining moments. Trust in HIM, for He alone is worthy.

"Oh Lord my God, I called to you for help and you healed me." -Psalm 30:2

"I waited patiently for the Lord; He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord." -Psalm 40:1-3

5 comments:

  1. When I read your blog posts, I can literally hear your voice in my head and I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. as one of the elite runners in the half-marathon (which was called a marathon -- and we all got shirts that said marathon, whether we ran the half or the 9k), i have to offer you big congratulations on defeating an 85-year old former president mwinyi. i'm sorry you didn't get to shake his hand after handing him an embarrassing beatdown.

    and i enjoyed your story of healing. i'm not generally one to love miraculous stories of healing, but i was once healed after the prayer of one of our shepherds. my knee had been extremely painful for a week or so, though i'd been planning on riding a 100-mile bike race that saturday. friday night he prayed over me, and saturday morning it still hurt, but i felt i should exercise faith in God by going to the race anyway. i shared with three groups of people that i'd been prayed over and believed i'd receive healing. and i did. rode the entire way with no pain. something in me doesn't want God to do these kinds of things, but he did. and he does. He is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, I forgot to add that to the TIA list.... yes, the race was called a Marathon, and I now own a shirt that says Dar Marathon when I actually ran less than 6 miles.

    I hope y'all had a good trip back- sorry I didn't get to say bye (and you could have stayed with us that night, I left my phone somewhere so couldn't contact you... Pole!) And sorry about your chairs. Fun times in Dar with you... See you in April! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, we were so much wanting to make sure that we didn't get stuck in dar another day that we drove to bagomoyo that night and stayed. then left the next day. we're back in geita, safe and sound. away from all traffic and without the scorching heat.

    i linked to your blog from mine in yesterday's post. don't know if you've gotten any traffic from it or not, though...

    april. it's on like donkey kong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link! :)

    ReplyDelete