Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Life here so far...

Ok, I'm finally going to try to update here... everything's been such a whirlwind with the transition and learning the city, etc. that it's hard to sit down and process/write about it all. This week I've been staying with some other Young Life people (a couple that also just moved here- Ben & Mary, and a couple that's been living here this year but is about to move back- Amy & Austin)... We've been staying at the Larmey's house (Steve, the YL Africa VP, & Dyan- they're out of town now, getting back next week), and Amy & Austin have been giving us a great orientation of the city and life here.

They've shown us where to shop for certain items.... A lot of daily items are purchased at the "dukas"- the little African markets/shop stalls that carry food, produce, toiletries, hardware, etc. There are a few bigger, more "normal" grocery stores and convenience stores where harder-to-find items are bought (i.e. cheese, cereal- which is about $10 a box!, specific toiletries, etc.). So they've been showing us the ins-and-outs of the city and where to go for what, which is super helpful!

Most transportation here consists of bicycle taxis (there's a seat on the back of the bike above the back wheel for the passenger), Bajaj's (a three-wheeled little covered car/buggy with a motorcycle engine- got to ride in one the other day!), and dala-dala's (buses/taxis- basically they're mini-vans crammed to capacity with people). We've been in a car this week but those will be my main forms of transportation for the year (though one of my roommates has a car- wahoo!)

AND.... yesterday I got to visit my school for the first time and see my house (and meet 2 of my 3 roommates).... my favorite part yet!! The school is absolutely wonderful- it's called Haven of Peace Academy and it is literally a haven! The school has a brand new admin building which is really nice (probably one of the nicest buildings in the country, seriously!) and the campus is just beautiful and peaceful and secluded.... it will be a great "haven" during the day away from the craziness of the rest of the city (not that they won't be crazy days with 300 students, though, of course ;)).

And my house is wonderful!! I have my own room and bathroom and the house has a roof deck that has a view of the Indian Ocean... amazing! We're moving in tomorrow and I can't WAIT to get settled in and unpack everything and finally make it HOME! Exciting new mini-design project for me. :)

Other than that, it's just typical Africa. People are in the streets everywhere at all times.... everyone is very friendly, though it's hard not being able to communicate with most people b/c of my *super* limited Swahili... goats and cows walk around in the streets with seemingly no owners (though they do always belong to someone)... dirt roads everywhere outside of the major city streets... and very humid with lots of mosquitoes.

The hardest thing so far is the humidity and the sun- it's "winter" here now but it's in the mid-to-high 80's with *crazy* humidity which makes it feel in the 90's. I'm used to the heat from Texas and am totally okay with it (I even like it some)... but I'm a little apprehensive as to how it will be when it's "summer" here and supposedly a lot hotter! Without A/C (I'll have it in my home during the summer but I think that's about it) it definitely takes its toll on you. Every day at midday I've taken a nap b/c the sun just drains the energy out of you, making you super tired! I'd love your prayers for adjustment to living in the heat with basically no A/C all day every day and also for continual transition time here and that the Lord forms solid, great relationships with my new friends here. I love it and am definitely here for a while- God called me here so this is my new home :) (and He didn't just call me here for a year, to clear up any confusion for those who still think this is just a "year-long adventure" for me) :-)

Thank y'all and I'll try to post some more exciting stories soon! :)

3 comments:

  1. love the update! I will be praying you adjust to the heat...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to hear you are getting acquainted with your new home! Keep the updates coming - it's almost as good as seeing your face or hearing your voice. Miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers for getting used to the temps! Miss you so much! Your small groups loves you and are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete