Friday, January 14, 2011

Dar Fun Facts

I realize I should update more with the fun facts of daily living here. Things have gotten so 'normal' to me that they hardly seem noteworthy anymore, but lately (esp. since being back in the US and seeing things "new" again) I've noticed many photo opp.'s that I should have documented and posted. So, I'm determined to update more with tidbits on life in Africa! For now, meet the mosquito zapper:


Looks like a tennis racket, but it actually electrocutes mosquitoes by zapping them dead when you strike them. It makes a snap/crackle/pop sound when it hits one and can be pretty fun. Also makes you feel pretty victorious over those sneaky things. Just one of the highlights of daily life here. :-)

4 comments:

  1. and it hurts like the dickens if you touch it to your nose. finger, not so much. but nose... owie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I'm still too scared to try with my finger.... but curious every time. :)

    You doing the Kili Marathon/Half? I'm def in now for the Half.... can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, it all depends. i was up to a long run of 14 about 6 weeks ago, preparing for the marathon. and then i hurt my ankle playing squash -- so i decided to only do the half after taking some time off. but we don't have our new truck yet (the one i was supposed to come and get in december), so we're not sure now. our whole reason for being in arusha was to get a 3rd door cut into our new truck. so basically, if we have it by then, i'll run the half. if we don't, we won't come. i know you'll miss us. oh, and baylor's a lot more fun now, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, of course I'll miss y'all if you're not there... hope you make it! Let me know what you end up doing. and I can't wait to see Baylor again- I'm sure she's so fun right now!

    ReplyDelete