Friday, January 28, 2011

More Fun Facts

Some more fun facts on life here:


Lately the government has gone around the city (and apparently the country; I heard it was the same in Arusha) and "X"ed out any sign or billboard that violates some law or code or something.... I don't know what the requirements are supposed to be, but literally 99.9% of the signs and billboards in the city now have a big red X painted over them.  Signs for restaurants, for stores, for advertisements.... basically anything that is not attached to a building itself. A very random thing for the government to all of a sudden be enforcing.... Pretty sure there are plenty of other problems they can be dealing with.  Also pretty sure that a city full of billboards with huge red X's painted over them looks worse than a city full of signs that "don't comply with code".



The handicap parking sign in front of a local bar here :)  No drinking and driving, what?!


This is the size of a head of lettuce here.  Little tiny balls of iceberg lettuce.... pretty much all that's available for salads.  (and each leaf in turn needs to be soaked in dish-soap or bleach to adequately clean it.... makes for a lot of work to have salad).  Oh, how I miss spinach salads....



This is a gecko with a huge cockroach in its mouth.  This was on the wall of a restaurant I was eating in (yes, one of the "nice" restaurants here, you can imagine what's in the kitchen...) When I saw it on the wall I had to get a picture; it was pretty unbelievable.  The gecko just stopped and stared at me when I pulled out my camera and took the pic, all while the roach was squirming in its mouth.  Grossss.....

4 comments:

  1. around geita, we're not seeing red 'x's, but black ones. and they're generally on buildings, with the word "bomoa" next to them. i'm not sure if they're planning on widening roads or if they're "beautifying" them. i think it's the beautifying thing.

    and i envy your small heads of lettuce.

    guess what?! i heard my truck should be ready later this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and i think i recognize the 'swimming pool' sign. is it the one in front of the chinese restaurant?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey woman! You can get nice, dark green lettuce (not sure what it's called, but it's not bean leaves and tastes normal)at Oyster Bay Deli for 1000 per bag that is about one very large or two regular salads. :) And it's fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Brett... I'm totally amazed at your knowledge of Dar- yes it's the sign in front of the Chinese restaurant! and yay, so glad the truck is ready!! so you'll be at the half?!

    and thanks Nomad Laura! I've heard there's better lettuce over there- and ahhhh, that sounds amazing- it's hard for me to get over there to grocery shop being so far away... but I'm going to be on the lookout whenever I can get over there! thanks for the info!! Mmmmmm, lettuce.....

    ReplyDelete