Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I wish I could just take snapshots....

....and cut and paste excerpts from my life out here every day.... there are just too many great moments that I don't get the chance to record!

Tonight I made this statement for the 2nd time in my life (in all seriousness):

"I could go to Africa with nothing on my back but dry shampoo!"

The first time I said this was on the way to the airport with my family as I was leaving for Africa, and the second time was tonight around the dinner table... exclaiming to my roommates of the amazing benefits of this invention. (**if you don't know, "dry shampoo" is basically an aerosol spray that cleans your hair and works as a shampoo..... A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.) So we decided to come up with a devotional, skit, book.... something... it's in the works.... "What you need to be a Missionary in Africa: #1 Love Jesus. #2 Dry Shampoo." I'm onto something here, just need to figure out how to get the word out.... ;)

I started a Bible Study tonight with some wonderful women here... we're studying Beth Moore's study on Daniel, and I'm very excited for all that lies ahead in it! Tonight's message was on the EXCESS in our culture... I'm so thankful that there are at least a few people speaking out about this b/c I believe we are so blind to the disease of excess in our culture. Especially so in America. My soul feels like it's been letting out a long, continuous sigh of relief since it's been here- finally free from so many of the burdens and bondage that American excess brings with it- and oh, how good it feels! More *things* and more *stuff* and more *indulgence* do NOT make us happy.... and how deceived we are in thinking that it will! I have so much more to learn and so far to go, I know that... but I have to say that I'm thankful God's brought me so far away from the crazy-excess in America to learn it. (Yes, there's excess here too- we as humans find ways to over-indulge anywhere we are- but there just really aren't many, if any, places in the world with SUCH material excess as America...) The antidote to the disease? Psalm 16:8,11- "I have set the Lord continually before me.... YOU fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand."

One more fun fact on life here:

I bought an avocado yesterday that was literally the size of a bowling ball and that literally filled an entire *large* tupperware/salad bowl with guacamole. Amazing. Everyone says everything is bigger in Texas, but really: Everything is bigger in Africa. (and ok, so unfortunately that includes spiders, cockroaches, and rats....)

4 comments:

  1. never heard of dry shampoo. but i guess it's all that's missing from my africa experience.

    well, that and a true appreciation for large avocados. i had no idea our avocados were bigger than the ones in the states. shows how often i eat them in either place.

    and who is beth moore?

    i feel so ignorant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brett-

    (Not sure if you'll see this... still don't understand how Blogger, etc. works...)

    Hey Famous Missionary! :)

    I'll teach you all about dry shampoo and Beth Moore next week.... SO excited for Zanzibar!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love love love hearing from you and what you are doing in Africa! I must try this dry shampoo that you speak of! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i know who beth moore is; just kidding on that one. but i'll be happy to learn about dry shampoo. see you at the beach.

    ReplyDelete