Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Lately...


Some of my 1st Grade students painting :)


I don't really have anything specific to blog about but I'll update a little with some random happenings from the past few days....

I went for a run this evening and got several of these 2 most common responses from the local people: "Pole" ("Sorry"; it's literally translated "you poor little thing") and of course "Mzungu!" (basically "Hey, whitey!"). Tanzanians don't typically run for "pleasure" so their most common response when seeing someone jog is to say "Pole" or "Pole Sana" (I'm so very sorry).... as if they are so sorry for the utter pain I'm enduring by running for an extended period. It's quite amusing- and also kind of nice that they're concerned- but it does make me start to question.... "Why again am I running for fun??"

Also, today at school we found out that the school uniform colors will be changing.... from light blue to navy blue.... because the *country* has run out of light blue material. Ha! Only in Africa.

I've been painting with the primary grades in Art class these past couple of weeks, so I've been spreading newspapers out on the tables so that paint doesn't get on them. Yesterday, in 3rd grade, one of the students saw a picture of Jennifer Aniston on the cover of one and was convinced it was me.... the girl who's been helping me with the primary classes said he kept telling his friends "Look! It's the art teacher! It's her!" She said he was totally convinced and kept pointing and showing his friends.... Ha! It's not so bad being in a land with only a few Mzungu's.... I'll take getting mistaken for Jennifer Aniston anytime. :)

Last week, Young Life's Senior Africa Leadership Team (S.A.L.T.) was in town from 8 African countries (Kenya, Uganda, Congo, Tanzania, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Liberia, Ethiopia).... It was SUCH a wonderful week... I got to spend time with my beloved friends James Davis from Liberia and Patson and Pierre from Zimbabwe as well as make some new great friends with the others. This team is full of such joy and life that it's contagious.... many laughs were had and praises sung to our God.... in many different languages and with many African instruments. Unforgettable!

Worshiping with the SALT Team

With my friends Kate and Heather :)

1 comment:

  1. Erin! You are doing such great things over there! Looks like you are having some fun too! Praying for you sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete